- Covered Up: Sinead O'Connor's cover of "Nothing Compares 2 U" is usually considered an original by her because The Family was such an obscure band.
- Ear Worm: We're dealing with songs written by Prince here.
- Ending Fatigue: Many of The Time's songs eschew ending in favour of repeating the backing track and adding not really that funny Spoken Word in Music. Their first album also seems like it was recorded without an edit button.
- Face of the Band:
- The Time: Morris Day. Was introduced as "Morris Day and the Time" for a period starting at the end of The '90s.
- Played with in the New Power Generation. Tony M. was the lead for the first album, followed by Sonny, but the trope didn't really take off until Prince took over stuck his face on the cover of Newpower Soul.
- Fetish Retardant: Most of Prince's early female associates embodied this trope with their attempts at being sexy with their Narm-filled lyrics and posturing. Wendy and Lisa (who ironically come off as the most wholesome out of the bunch) are the most notable exception to the rule.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment Prince's character in Purple Rain is a Jerkass who bullies Wendy and Lisa and restricts their creativity. In Real Life, Prince was a huge Jerkass to Wendy and Lisa. Happy viewing!
- Funny Moments:
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Wendy and Lisa found plenty of success in Britain while going ignored in the US.
- Just Here for Godzilla: One of Sheila E.'s main draws were her drum solos.
- Memetic Mutation: Morris Day's catchphrases.
- Narm: All of the acts, to varying degrees. Prince was a pretty over-the-top guy, but all these little "hobbies" of his tended to get the short end of the charm stick and just came off as silly.
- Narm Charm: The Time were a rare exception, thanks to their charisma and Morris Day's excellent showmanship.
- Older Than They Think: The Time's "Chocolate" and "My Summertime Thang" were originally written in 1983 before being released in 1990. "Chocolate" was released as-is, including uncredited performances by Wendy and Lisa.
- Painful Rhyme: Vanity 6 and Apollonia 6 had a fair share of them.
- Sophomore Slump: Wendy and Lisa's album Fruit at the Bottom.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Mayte's "The Most Beautiful
GirlBoy in the World".
YMMV / Prince's Associates