- Broken Base: Erika is yet another Gym Leader who gives Ash a badge despite him not beating her in combat. Did him putting his life on the line to save her Gloom from the Gym fire make up for it, or is it yet another pity badge? Not helping his case is that unlike Brock or Misty who he at least had on the ropes, he wasn't able to come up with any kind of strategy to counter Gloom's overpowering stench before Team Rocket interfered.
- Common Knowledge: It's widely misremembered that Erika banned Ash from the gym because he didn't like her perfume line. In truth, she only banned him from her store; it was her assistants who kept Ash from entering the gym out of petty revenge. Once Ash managed to sneak in, Erika was fine with battling him, even pointing out how Gym Leaders must accept challenges from trainers.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Many fans love Ash's female disguise of Ashley, even to the point of thinking her as a separate character and wishing for "her" return.
- The Scrappy: Erika's assistants are hated by a lot of viewers for how petty and rude they are towards Ash. It's one thing to kick someone out of your store for being a mouthy asshole and insulting the products that you've worked hard on, but it's another to ban him from a completely unrelated facility and smugly taunt him on top of that. The fact that they're never called out for it or forced to apologize doesn't help. Unfortunately, Erika tends to get lumped in with them despite not having any say in their decision.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Ash considers using his freshly-caught Primeape against Erika, only to reconsider when he remembers just how violent he is. Considering that he'd be giving him away a few episodes later, one would think the writers would try to make the most of his limited screentime and give him at least one good showing in a Gym battle.
YMMV / Pokémon S1E26 "Pokémon Scent-sation!"