- Memetic Mutation:
- Nintendo hired the man!explanation
- Amogus Pokéball / I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMOREexplanation
- Shocking Moments:
- The game's reveal itself, as the idea of an official, fully open-world Pokémon game had long been a wish of the fanbase but had come to be viewed as a pipe dream by much of the fanbase.
- Likewise, the fact that it's a prequel took everyone by surprise, being a first for a mainline Pokémon game.
- Tainted by the Preview: The immediate reaction from the less-than-pleasant side of the fanbase was that Pokémon is merely copying The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which to be fair the reveal trailer did deliberately copy a lot of iconic shots from that game.
- Unexpected Character:
- The choice of starters from the game revealed in the first trailer (Rowlet, Cyndaquil, and Oshawott) are not only not from Sinnoh, but are each from different regions to boot.
- Oshawott especially was a surprise to be chosen. While Rowlet and Cyndaquil are the most popular choice of their respective regions, Oshawott's inclusion was surprising considering the fact that it's the least popular of the Unova starters (at least in its first stage), as well as it being picked over more popular Water-type starters such as Froakie and Mudkip.
- Arceus itself. After 4 Generations of being a Mythical Pokemon and having no impact on the mainline games' storyline, to the point of being excluded from Pokémon Sword and Shield even after two DLC expansions, Arceus not only now becomes a mascot, but is heavily implied to make a major impact on the game's story.
YMMV / Pokémon Legends: Arceus