- Adaptation Displacement: It was originally released for the Japan-only Sharp X68000.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: This comic attempts to reconcile the infamous SNES box art with the actual game.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: The "Advertise Zone". It's an Asteroid Thicket with advertising signs all over the first half of the stage!
- Dancing Bear: Many people have only heard of this game because of its ludicrous cover.
- Goddamned Bats: The enemies that attack the player from behind in the seventh stage. Hope you have the laser, which can attack behind your character...
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Over two decades later came Outer Wilds, a space-exploration game which prominently features an astronaut playing the banjo.
- Never Live It Down: The game is most infamous for its box art featuring the completely irrelevant banjo player.
- One-Scene Wonder: Again, the old banjo player who only shows up in the cover and nowhere else. He's arguably more famous than the game itself.
- Squick: Many of the organic bosses- for example, the Mini-Boss of the fourth level is a brain that shoots worms from its head...
YMMV / Phalanx