- Harsher in Hindsight:
- In the fic, Twilight's secret Mad Scientist Laboratory is reached by a hidden, downward spiraling staircase, and her magic's color begins to progressively darken as she goes deeper into her Sanity Slippage. Fast forward to the Season 3 premiere, and Twilight's magic changes from its normal magenta to black as she uses dark magic to find a hidden downward spiraling staircase.
- Also, the second chapter of the fic more-or-less begins with Rainbow trapped in Twilight's lab, with a device on her head, asking to be let go, and Twilight refusing. Fast forward to Double Rainboom...
- Narm: While still terrifying, the over-the-top number of tortures that Fluttershy is forced to suffer gets a bit ridiculous after a while, especially since Twilight does one for every letter of the alphabet. And it goes on for four chapters. The author did acknowledge the Narm-ness of this and was one of her motivations to give the story a complete overhaul.
- Paranoia Fuel: Just about every other thing Twilight uses actually exists. Irukandji jellyfish that Fluttershy is forced to swallow afflict a pony with every unpleasant symptom under the sun, steadily causing agony so intense that some ask to be killed to end the pain, the fear effects of infrasound (listen at own risk), audio spotlights, and VX nerve agents.
- Ron the Death Eater: Hoo boy. Twilight herself. So very much.
- Rooting for the Empire: As time went on, there were more people who, despite Twilight crossing the Moral Event Horizon, actually wanted her to win. Much like Light Yagami. They got their wish.
YMMV / Pages of Harmony