- Awesome Music: Just check out that trailer!
- Alternate Character Interpretation:
- Dirk. Was his aggression towards Alphonse throughout the game rooted entirely in his betrayal of Molstrom, or was he upset that his only friend had left him? Was it both?
- Complete Monster: Captain Molstrom is an automaton originally created by the Ancient Owls as a war machine. After the owls inadvertently caused the worlds continents to lift off the planets surface and subsequently vanished, Molstrom took control of the other automatons who were left behind, exterminating any who didnt agree to follow him. In the present, Molstrom is the brutal leader of the Pirates, the remaining automatons who are loyal to him. After retrieving the first of three relics created by the owls, he uses its power to decimate the large capital city of Advent, leaving only a few survivors. When he possesses all three relics, he plots a course to the remaining settlements, which he plans to destroy as well. After getting betrayed by Solus, the young owl who told him of the relics, Molstrom seeks revenge, and even after learning that Solus wanted to use the relics to stop the continents from floating off into space, he makes it clear that he doesnt care and tries to prevent the heroes from saving the world from destruction.
- I Am Not Shazam: The main character's name is not Owlboy, it's Otus. The "owlboy" the title refers to is actually Solus.
- Nightmare Fuel: Otus's dream sequence at the beginning of the game, where he's hounded by shadows.
- That One Sidequest: The Cannon Mini-Game. An extra challenging Unexpected Gameplay Change with clunky and confusing control scheme note and screen transitions that will immediately crash you into a wall unless you memorized what's coming and started turning on the previous screen. There's also no way to quickly restart the Mini-Game after failure, and the initial animation can be nearly as long as an attempt cut short. And that's not even mentioning the rings that need to be passed through for 100% Completion.
- The Woobie: Otus. From the beginning of the game, he is abused by his caretaker and is convinced that he is a disappointment to his whole village. It never really gets better for him, either.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Solus, whose timidity and inability to trust anyone else causes him to take the task of saving his world upon himself. He does this deceiving pirates into gathering the needed relics for him, but before they are ready to use, the pirates devastate the capital, Advent, resulting in the death of dozens.
YMMV / Owlboy