- Awesome Music: Jubei's Theme, especially that echoing flute in the middle.
- Canon Discontinuity: Fans of the movie who dislike this series (which are most of them) tend to ignore it. They have arguably the help of the canon itself, as the series's nature as a sequel to the movie has never been stated outright and can be easily ruled out.
- Cliché Storm: Quite spiritedly averted in terms of characters, as the episodic ninjas have a very high "Holy Shit!" Quotient based in appearance alone, but the plot itself is rather formulaic.
- Narm: Both the Hiruko and Kimon clans hit it hard. Most of their shinobi are so decidedly bizarre and crazy that it's sometimes difficult to take them seriously.
- Sequelitis: Although the series has its fans, it is widely considered as not up to the standards of the original movie, in a big part due to Tough Act to Follow and in another part due to the deep changes in tone, setting and characters's personality. Most of the fans prefer to consider it a separate continuity.
- Squick: Lots and lots of it.
- Three episodes in and we have already reached brother/sister incest. It gets worse.
- When Kawahori sucks Azame's blood with his proboscis tongue through her vagina.
- So Bad, It's Good: Even if the series doesn't hold much water due to its storyboard quirks, many people consider it still quite entertaining for that reason.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: The series features a ton of characters, but barely builds any of them.
- Special mention goes to the fact that we rarely see two or three ninjas from the same side together on screen, so we are deprived of the interesting interactions they could have with each other.
- What an Idiot!: Dakatsu. Not only he offers Rengoku his sting tail in future exchange for the stone (what in the heaven would impede Rengoku from killing him with his own sting instead of carry out her part?), he also idiotically demands her to perform a surgical procedure on him (what would impede her to kill him in midst of the surgery?) without knowing all of Rengoku's skills. The result is, predictably, Dakatsu being unceremoniously killed.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: The series's ninja cast seems frankly to be the result of, at least, some wild brainstorming sessions.
- The Woobie: Azame can't get a break from being sexually abused every time she fights.
YMMV / Ninja Scroll: The Series