- Adaptation Displacement: The book, supposedly a memoir of an actual relationship the pseudonymous author had, came out eight years before the movie's theatrical release, and given both that the movie takes considerable liberties with it and it only developed its US cult audience on video in the ensuing years, most viewers aren't aware that it was based on a book.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: The movie flopped in the U.S. but was a hit overseas. It was eventually Vindicated by Video in its home country, however.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: An erotic film about a woman in a BDSM relationship with a man with the surname of Gray/Grey sounds a lot like Fifty Shades of Grey. The filmmakers of Fifty Shades of Grey certainly noticed the similarity, as they would cast Kim Basinger herself in the Fifty Shades of Grey films as Elena Lincoln, the former lover/dominitrix of Christian Grey.
- Memetic Mutation: The Erotic Eating scene spawned many tributes and parodies, notably including Hot Shots!.
- Mind Game Ship: Everything about the relationship on John's part is a Mind Game Ship emotionally, intellectually, sexually.
YMMV / 9½ Weeks