- Accidental Aesop:
- You don't always need to be compensated, especially if it's for something far in the past. As Pinkie Pie so puts it, asking for such is "ridiculous and overly complicated".
- The Episode is a good and unfortunate example of how lie becomes truth and truth becomes lie.
- Accidental Innuendo: Pinkie x Rainbow is already one of the fandom's most popular ships, so the fact that this episode focuses on their friendship and the role "pie" plays in it lends itself to this trope.Rainbow: I'm eating this pie for friendship!
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Was Rainbow Dash an idiot for not considering just buckling down and eating the pie for Pinkie's sake, or did she hate pie such that she couldn't even fake enjoying it, thus defeating her attempts to hide it from her? Or maybe it went beyond dislike into a sensitivity that would have left her physically sick if she ate them, making that solution impossible.
- Fridge Horror:
- It really says a lot about everything the girls have been through that, when trying to save face about attempting to dispose of Pinkie's pie after it falls onto her face, two of Rainbow's immediate explanations for her contradictory behavior are that she has amnesia and is brainwashed, in that order.
- If Rainbow made a pie that she honestly is not sure if it had concrete in it or not (not to mention the visible garbage within), then by preventing her from eating it, Pinkie possibly thwarted an unintentional death by food poisoning.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The plot of this episode is basically a smaller-scale version of Princess Celestia Hates Tea, in that it involves a character who secretly hates a food/drink but doesn't want to admit it, and the hilarity that ensues when the truth comes out.
- Les Yay: This episode is quite possibly the most PinkieDash-filled episode of the series to date; Pinkie makes a pie for Rainbow Dash to celebrate an extremely specific occasion, is stated to have been making special pies specifically for Rainbow Dash for years, more or less "breaks up" with her when the truth comes out, then forgives her and makes up with her when Rainbow gives her a sincere apology. On Rainbow Dash's part, she's been lying about liking Pinkie's pies for years simply because she loves seeing Pinkie Pie happy, desperately wants to make amends with her during the break up scenario and was willing to risk food poisoning in order to get Pinkie to forgive her.
- Nausea Fuel: Rainbow's pie is utterly revolting.◊ Not helping matters is that Rainbow Dash then proceeds to dive into it, getting covered in brown sludge, and is prepared to eat the whole thing.
- One-Scene Wonder: The badly drawn monster Rainbow Dash appearing in Pinkie's Imagine Spot, which fans have quickly dubbed "Evil Pie Hater Dash." Her over-the-top hatred of pies (complete with Ashleigh Ball clearly having a blast hamming it up) quickly ended up making the whole scene a highlight.
- The Un-Twist: Pinkie concludes early on that Rainbow Dash secretly hates her pies and has been lying for years about it, and sets out to prove it. This explanation seems rather over-the-top, and Pinkie has been in a similar situation before where her fears turned out to be unfounded, as well as playing a detective who makes hilariously wrong deductions. As the circumstantial evidence builds to comical levels, the plot is set up for a big reveal of a misunderstanding between Rainbow and Pinkie... until it's shown that Pinkie was completely correct from the start.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character:
- Rainbow Dash may or may not been giving Soarin her Wonderbolt celebration pies the entire time. We may never know the answer to that question.
- Rainbow Dash has essentially offended Rarity's virtue of Generosity by throwing away all of the pies that Pinkie has been giving to Rainbow Dash. Just imagine how Rarity would've reacted to Rainbow Dash refusing Pinkie's generosity in secret, how long Dash had been doing it, and how she would have given Dash a piece of her mind about it.
- What an Idiot!:
- Somehow, Rainbow's method of tricking Pinkie (distraction, pie removal, exaggerated chewing) has not only worked for years, but not once did the latter question where the tin went.
- Rainbow Dash tossed the rainbow-blueberry pie in the trash while Pinkie was still nearby, when she could've just offered the pie to her fellow Wonderbolts, which would've been less wasteful, made her seem generous, and provided a plausible excuse if Pinkie noticed, as Rainbow could claim she was truly wanted to share with her friends, and Pinkie would surely be less offended by that.
YMMV / My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic S7 E23 "Secrets and Pies"