- Fanfic Fuel: Amethyst Star, better known in the fandom as Sparkler, was shown in this episode as Dinky's sister. Dinky is almost always portrayed as Ensemble Dark Horse Derpy Hooves's daughter in fan works, so bronies had a field day figuring out ways to fit Sparkler in the ever so popular "Derpy Family" Fanon.
- Heartwarming in Hindsight: When Sweetie Belle goes to spend some time with Applejack and Apple Bloom after her hardship with Rarity, Applejack tells her "She'll come around. Sisters always do." Suffice to say, this has definitely been the case for Applejack and Apple Bloom, and later even Sweetie Belle, themselves, previously when Applejack and the other Mane 5 realized how ridiculous they were around Zecora while Apple Bloom tried to set the record straight in "Bridle Gossip", and later on when Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo realized how much damage their gossip stories had caused on their friends and families and wrote out a public apology letter which earned their friends' and families' forgiveness in "Ponyville Confidential".
- Memetic Mutation:
- One scene with wet hair/mane Rarity... or as been called in the fandom, "Rainity"... has inspired... um... a great deal of fanart, to say the least.
- The Sweetie Belle sliding on the floor scene ("Ugh! I'm so bored!") is very popular too.
- Older Than They Think: Rarity had first been shown with a wet mane back in the second episode in the show, but it didn't really take off as a staple of fanart until this episode. Might have something to do with the fact that in the earlier episodes Rarity looked rather frumpy, whereas in this episode it looked a bit more like she had let her hair down.
- Squick: If you look closely when Apple Bloom burps, you can see pieces of chewed up apples flying out of her mouth.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The music at the start of the race is seemingly based on either Flat & Scruggs's "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" or "East Bound and Down" from Smokey and the Bandit. (They have such similar melodies, it's a little hard to tell which is meant, though the context of it being a race does tend to suggest "East Bound and Down".)
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot:
- A general consensus among the fans, is that Celestia reading the Friendship Lesson with Luna should have been included.
- With the focus of the episode on sisterhood, some fans were hoping for an appearance from Pinkie's sisters as well.
- The Woobie:
- Sweetie Belle spends the whole first act trying to do nice things for her big sister, only to have everything blow up in her face and get yelled at.
- This falls onto Rarity herself in the second half, where her attempts to make amends are met with her being disowned by Sweetie Belle.
YMMV / My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S2 E5 "Sisterhooves Social"