- Accidental Aesop: "Fully read the instructions before doing anything so you don't do something stupid".
- Broken Base: Depending on who you ask, Cheerilee and Big Mac's lovey-dovey talking is either hilarious or untolerable.
- Die for Our Ship:
- When the episode was announced, the Big Macintosh x Anymare-(Or Stallion)-But-Cheerilee shippers cried that it was ruined. The episode's ending was left deliberately ambiguous. Mac and Cheerilee could get together, they could stay single, we don't know, and the writers were very careful about doing exactly that. In the end, all this episode really did was add Cheerilee to Mac's list of potential ships.
- If anything, by the end, the only ships sunk were those involving Caramel Ho Yay, given that he's seen flirting with a filly. Well, maybe... Straight Caramel shippers (he's been shipped multiple times with Twilight, Applejack, and Bon Bon if you can believe it) on the other hand has bitten the dust.
- Fanfic Fuel: With everything that happens between the two, this episode alone provides numerous potential for Big Macintosh and Cheerilee.
- Harsher in Hindsight:
- The last episode, "Read it and weep," had what looked like a cancer patient in the hospital. In this episode, there is an unexplained funeral.
- Diamond Tiara's surprise at receiving a gesture of affection carries some depressing implications after seeing how she gets treated at home.
- Ho Yay:
- Look closely at the opening shot in the classroom, and you'll see that a very surprised Diamond Tiara gets an H&H card from another filly.
- From the same scene, who Tootsie Flute was going to give her card to is a little more ambiguous but the fact remains its either Truffle Shuffle (the chubby gray colt) or Twist.
- Memetic Mutation: People are associating the stallion who likes jelly with the phrase "U JELLY?", Trollface, and "ME GUSTA".
- Most Wonderful Sound: Sweetie Belle gets an entire song all to herself. Michelle Creber not only does the singing work for Sweetie Belle, but also Apple Bloom's normal talking and singing voice. Scootaloo never sang a word.
- Squick: During the song, the stallion inside the giant jars of jelly. The face he makes is a bit too happy for somebody covered in jelly. Seriously way too happy...
- Tear Jerker: Tootsie Flute finding out her Valentine likes somepony else. Poor little filly.
- What an Idiot!: Twilight Sparkle gives Apple Bloom a book with a recipe for a potion because she's interested in the history of Hearts and Hooves Day. In "The Cutie Pox" Apple Bloom almost killed herself by misusing a potion. Potions are the most potent tool or weapon in the My Little Pony universe that is available to the average pony. This is the equivalent of somebody loaning an 1858 Remington pistol and the bullets to go with it to a kid who's interested in The American Civil War. A kid who's already accidentally shot herself once.
YMMV / My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S2 E17 "Hearts and Hooves Day"