- Broken Base: Starting Team Turbo, many fans started to complain that the series had lost its essence after most of its cast (including Sydney, Kirby, Butch, Ven-Ghan and posteriorly many more in the following films) was killed off to introduce new characters, not mentioning that they had left many unanswered questions about The Black Star Council and the Ultralinks. Other fans, however, think that the show is now Growing the Beard by introducing darker and ediger storylines and making Max getting more akin to his classic counterpart.
- Complete Monster: See here.
- Fridge Brilliance: Why does Doctor Xander have a robot fish? Cause he's obsessed with cleanliness and a normal fish does things like leaving behind excrement.
- Fridge Logic:
- A bit of inconsistent animation, but when Max puts on the heavy clothes to hide the Steel Suit from his mom, he's not wearing gloves to cover his gloved hands and yet his hands are shown bare.
- There's also the fact that when Max returns Sydney's phone, no mention is ever made of the fact that Sydney had Max's phone as well since the two phones were switched.
- Well, before going to N-Tek, Max put his phone in the backpack with Steel.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: A season 2 episode is about a film about Max Steel. And one was released in 2016. The movie in the show was better than what was in our world.
- Memetic Mutation: DUBSTEP!
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: This happens starting with Team Turbo. Fans complained about supporting characters disappearing (such as Sydney and Ven-Ghan) without any clue about where they went and Team Turbo itself, which is more of a knock-off of Power Rangers. Combined with this, few fans also didn't enjoyed the look of the new animation. The 2017 films were also heavily criticized because Max and Steel were separated and probably will never link with each other and the animation.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: "The Truth Hurts" has Max reveal his superhero identity to Sydney...and Sydney's memory is conveniently erased at the episode's end.
YMMV / Max Steel (2013)