- Author's Saving Throw: The X-Men are finally showing up alongside the greater Marvel universe in a video game again, after spending the better part of the 2010s being left out of various adaptations due to an embargo which infamously affected certain games like LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, stemming from the characters' film rights being owned by Fox in that duration.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Link and Samus almost appeared as playable characters in the first game. However, the developpers showed their idea to Nintendo by using the PlayStation 2 version, enraging the Big N to see their characters in a version made for one of their competitors and they refused to let this idea happen. Fast forward to over a decade later, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is announced as an exclusive game for the Nintendo Switch, with Nintendo themselves serving as the publisher.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: Xbox and Playstation players were really pissed to see that the game is a Nintendo exclusive, unlike the previous entries which were on Microsoft and Sony platforms, with many decrying the game 'bullshit' and declaring how it should be on other consoles. Obviously, people with a Switch, or those who'd be willing to get one for the game, aren't fussed, especially since Nintendo are the publisher and it's not as if console exclusive Marvel games have exactly been an unsuccessful idea.
- Unexpected Character:
- Wolverine, to the delight of fans. After having been blacklisted alongside the other X-Men due to Fox holding the film rights until Disney acquired them, seeing him fight alongside the others was welcomed.
- Crystal and Lockjaw of The Inhumans to a lesser extent, due to the infamous failure of their TV series, and the aforementioned return of the X-Men, it was assumed they would be forgotten.
YMMV / Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order