- Author's Saving Throw: The Game Boy Advance remake replaces the Shellcreepers with Spinies to keep newcomers from being confused about why they can't kill enemies by jumping on them. Super Mario Bros. 3 had done the same thing a decade earlier in their minigame version.
- Demonic Spiders: The green fireballs, which spawned not from the pipes, but directly on your current floor.
- Ear Worm: The opening snippet of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik," a classic Mozart song.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- It's the Same, So It Sucks: The game being released seven times on the GBA (the remake five times and the NES port twice). IGN in particular first praised the remake in their Super Mario Advance review, but increasingly got annoyed by its presence per subsequent release (even speaking to Nintendo in search for a reason) until becoming indifferent about it in their Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga review.
- Memetic Mutation: "Mario, where are you?!" from the aforementioned commercial.
- Most Annoying Sound: Mario's walking sound effect in the original version of the arcade game is an obnoxious, scraping sound effect that gets grating fast. There are two revised versions that replace it with more pleasant sounds, and all of the ports have much better sounds for Mario walking.
- Older Than They Think: Luigi being the Cowardly Sidekick did not come from The Super Mario Bros Super Show!. It came from the Atari commercial for Mario Bros.
- Polished Port: The GBA remake has much better controls than the original arcade game, has All-Stars style graphics and a beefed up soundtrack to spice things up. On top of that, it can support up to a whopping four players at once!
- Sequel Displacement:
- Super Mario Bros. is a lot more famous. So much so, that most (though not all) later games kept the "Super" part of the name which resulted in displacing the original meaning.note
- That having been said, Nintendo still shows this game a lot of love, having remade it multiple times (most notably as part of the Super Mario Advance series and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga) and even making it a stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
YMMV / Mario Bros.