- Americans Hate Tingle: While the manga was never a smash hit in Japan, it was deeply unpopular in North America, to the point where the translated version was unceremoniously dropped after only a few volumes, presumably due to dismal sales. Even after gaining a new publisher, it's extremely obscure.
- Audience-Alienating Premise: Even people who like this admit the premise sounds deeply uncomfortable. Mentioning it in Yuri Genre circles is considered outright trolling.
- Base-Breaking Character:
- Kanako is either a poor little woobie who is hit with lots of undeserved misfortune, or a perverted moron who never learns how to not bring said misfortune on herself.
- Mariya is either a hilarious troll who manages to fool everyone in an all-girls school or a sadistic jerkass who should be castrated and murdered.
- Ear Worm: The ending theme.
- Memetic Mutation: That one scene from the OP, where Mariya rips open Matsurika's top. It has been re-done/photoshopped with countless other fandoms. Ditto the shot of Mariya playing Matsurika like a guitar.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: One of "The Final Countdown" plays during some shocking moments.
- This Is Your Premise on Drugs: It's pretty much Marimite on crack and acid, except for the small detail of being intentionally alienating to the Yuri Genre audience.
- The Woobie: Kanako. Especially when the abuse and misfortune she suffers goes too far.
YMMV / Maria†Holic