- Alternate Character Interpretation: Is Cassius a The Atoner Broken Ace who was blind to the evils of the Archduchy or was he a My Country, Right or Wrong Honor Before Reason Hypocrite who didn't care about who his country was hurting as long as it benefited him? His decency certainly doesn't seem to have appeared until his world was destroyed.
- Base-Breaking Character: Some readers find Isla to be a Action Girl Hot Scientist with a Free-Love Future attitude toward sex with strong opinions about free will and self-determination. Others find her to be a Soap Box Sadie who talks at the reader as well as her fellow characters. The fact she's a character literally created as a Sex Bot confuses the issue as well.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: The Commonwealth, Free Systems Alliance, Archduchy of Crius, the Chel, and the Elder Races are all variations on being complete bastards. Most of the characters are willing to betray one another and all of them have tragic backstories. It makes Cassius' decision at the end of Book 1 to go Screw This, I'm Outta Here! with the Melampus crew all the more satisfying.
- Memetic Badass: Cassius Mass has this reputation in-universe due to being a Propaganda Hero and also the fact he was genetically engineered to be stronger than most humans. Also, well, he really is that tough.
- Moral Event Horizon: Cassius Mass (Senior) is an Abusive Parent who cloned himself to disinherit his loyal children, engineered the war with the Commonwealth, and fully planned to betray his government to them. He then created a Spiral-spanning uprising which got millions killed with the full intent of betraying the human race to the alien Community to become its governor. Even so, he doesn't cross this until it's revealed he murdered all of his followers by injecting them with nanites that turned them into mindless but efficient drone soldiers.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Political?: The setting reflects a world where after a successful invasion of a smaller nation's dictatorship, the largest power in the galaxy is subject to constant never-ending terrorist attacks by the now-radicalized locals. The entire region is soon made unstable with many of the former soldiers of the region joining terrorist causes they wouldn't normally belong to.
YMMV / Lucifer's Star