- Awesome Music: The series uses many obscure songs to good effect.
- In "As Above, So Below" Broadcast's "Come On Let's Go" plays as Ernie and Dud drink in the tavern and really begin their friendship.
- In "The Slide", Three Degrees' "Collage" plays as Liz and Dud both contemplate their current aimlessness, somehow managing to mesh with Liz's disenchantment and Dud's contentment.
- In "Circles", Broadcast's "The Book Lovers" adds a nice mysterious ambiance to Blaise and Liz's journeys back through the history of Orbis, Parabola, and Lodge 49.
- In "La Reve Impossible", the Oh Sees' "Animated Violence" adds a hilariously epic vibe to Liz and Metz's impromptu dumpling-eating contest.
- In the same episode, the Soundcarriers' cover of Scott Walker's "The Seventh Seal" makes Ernie's stealing of the bowling bag even more heroic.
- Blaise pulling out a lengthy, parasitic worm out of his right nostril.
- Dud's infected shark bite. Doubly so when Blaise pulls a shark tooth out of it.
- The Woobie:
- Sean. A genuinely nice guy whose life went to shit within a year. With his father dying, receiving a snake bite that never healed properly and prevents him from working or surfing, and being forced to live in his car after losing his childhood home.
- Liz too, for having to work a dead-end job and assume responsibility for paying off her late father's debt, which is so severe that the bank is garnishing her wages.
YMMV / Lodge 49