- Adaptation Displacement: The film gets a permanent mention in all accounts of film history for practically creating the whole gangster genre. What every account leaves out is that it's based on a novel by W. R. Burnett.
- Award Snub: Edward G. Robinson wasn't nominated for Best Actor.
- Do Not Do This Cool Thing: The film attempts to show that hard, honest work will lead to success whilst crime does not pay. It makes the gangster cooler, more interesting, and more important than his straight-laced best friend.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: It was actually rumored for a while that the RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) Act which targets organized crime was deliberately contrived to reference this film.
- Ho Yay: It's strongly implied that Rico is gay and is in love with Joe. Also, Otero likes Rico a lot.
- Signature Line: "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?"
YMMV / Little Caesar