- Audience-Alienating Premise: It's the story of a Hollywood Nerd and his journey to discover his inner strength and self-confidence, which later manifests as outer strength and the ability to kick ass. Most people never figure this out, because you spend the first half of the game playing as a Hollywood Nerd.
- Demonic Spiders: Plenty. The bats in the third level, who swarm Lester and stay out of his attack range while draining his health.
- Ear Worm: "Washed up on the Beach", the first level's music which also goes in later in the game, has an annoyingly catchy tune to it.
- Goddamn Bats: The actual bat enemies blur the line with Demonic Spider territory (above). On a less lethal note we have the seagulls who don't do any damage, but annoyingly pick you up and carry you back through the level.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Far Cry 3 would later use the "everyman trapped on an island where he takes a level in badass" plot, only it became a massive hit.
- Idiot Plot: Seriously, who falls asleep on a loading dock?
- Memetic Loser: The protagonist gets this for running in fear from sea turtles alone. While he does get better as the game progresses and fights off threats that would terrify normal people such as giant spiders and pirates, players usually never get that far and will always view him as a stereotypical, easily frightened nerd. Even some of those who did make it or at least know about his Character Development view him this way too.
- Memetic Mutation: Ideas of how sequels would turn out. Started by The Angry Video Game Nerd in his review of the game and going from there.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: What most people don't realize is that the entire point of the game is Lester becoming something more than weak and pathetic.
- The Scrappy: Lester is a weak, pathetic idiot with no backbone who overrides the player on a whim. Trying to create an audience surrogate is one thing, but the vast majority of players of Lester's age and temperament would do better in his situation — the first level is no more dangerous or strenuous than a real life jungle gym. It's a bit of a slap in the face to the player.
YMMV / Lester the Unlikely