- Funny Moments:
Blédurt: No good, the matches are wet.
- The kids inadvertently get their junior recess guardian to run around pretending to be an aeroplane just as the headmaster and Mr Bouillon walk by.
- In the movie, the scene where Nicolas' parents have dinner with his dad's boss.
- Both the book and the movie versions of Nicolas cleaning the house by himself.
- A conversation between Nicolas and his Father's Sitcom Arch-Nemesis Bledurt as the later is trying to start a fire after being caught in the rain:
Nicolas: You should make a fire to dry them out.
Blédurt: ... You truly are your father's son.
- Another story has Nicolas' father forced to repaint the kitchen. Blédurt refuses to loan his ladder at first, until he learns what it's for, at which point he enthusiastically agrees and sits down to watch his ladder, which has never been so funny to watch. After more Passive-Aggressive Kombat that goes way over Nicolas' head, both men's wives come back, Blédurt's wife deciding he'll paint their kitchen the same color next weekend. Nicolas' father immediately volunteers to help in the same way.
- Heartwarming Moments:
- All the kids cheering for Clotaire in the movie after he has answered correctly.
- When Nicolas is invited to Geoffroy's (the rich kid), his dad stares wide-eyed at the Big Fancy House before quickly driving off. When Nicolas sees all Geoffroy's toys, he agrees that they're cool, but that his father has a soapbox racer in the attic that he built himself, and it's a lot cooler. The story ends with Geffroy's father calling Nicolas' to ask if he could buy the racer, Nicolas' dad says no but agrees to help him build one, glowing with joy and proletarian pride.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The series is called "Lil' Nicolas", then came a certain French president noted for his small size named Nicolas Sarkozy...
- Values Dissonance: When the school inspector visits Nicolas' class, he tries to get them to loosen up by telling a certain joke about two deaf men fishing. Today such a joke comes across as at best a bit insensitive, and probably not the kind of joke an authority figure should be telling kids!
YMMV / Le Petit Nicolas