- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- When the protagonist is shown Gene's collection of guns, he plays around with it (as stated in the screenplay) "As if he's James Bond". Well...
- Sidney shoots at the protagonist... and provides a gun to Bond in Skyfall.
- The first time we see Clarkie, he's wearing a surgical mask. It looks almost familiar now.
- Magnificent Bastard: Eddie Temple is an English crimelord who has become a feared and renowned figure in the British underworld, establishing himself as a legitimate businessman and member of upper society while secretly running a criminal empire behind the scenes. When Temple's lifelong associate Jimmy Price lost a large sum of money in a bad overseas investment, blaming Temple for it and attempted to have Temple's beloved daughter kidnapped to use her as a hostage, Temple quickly undercuts this scheme by revealing his findings about Jimmy being a police informant to Jimmy's young and ambitious cocaine manufacturer XXXX during a High-Altitude Interrogation, who kills him for the betrayal. Temple then cuts a deal with XXXX for a batch of ecstacy pills that were stolen on Jimmy's behalf from a group of Serbian gangsters, only to confiscate the drugs during the rendezvous and offering XXXX exclusive membership to a high-class social club instead. Temple is a ruthless gangster while at the same time being courteous, witty, and polite, reminding XXXX that it takes years of time and dedication to ascend the layer cake of life.
- Retroactive Recognition: One of the junkies is John Constantine.
- The Duke's head crony is Dr. Hermann Gottlieb.
- Wangst: Mr. X himself often likes to make a lot of complaints when things don't go his way.
YMMV / Layer Cake