- Awesome Music: The game gets praise for its soundtrack from those who play it. It goes well for whatever situation the heroes are dealing with.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The game itself can be a bit weird after River City Girls show Misako and Kyouko to be Kunio and Riki's Psycho Ex-Girlfriends in the original ending. The updated secret ending meanwhile keeps them dating, albeit still not very good rescuers.
- Moral Event Horizon: Sabu shoots Misako, Kyouko, and Ken without a second thought during the course of the game.
- Nightmare Fuel: While the scream you hear whenever someone falls into a void can be considered narm, the concept of anybody (especially Kunio and Riki) falling into said void with no way back up along with the afforementioned scream could be disconcerting. Also, some players are uncomfortable with Misuzu's masculine death cry.
- Tainted by the Preview: An official localization of the game by Wayfoward was announced in 2021, but its rebranding as a prequel to River City Girls made Western Kunio-kun fans concerned about how much it would be changed to appeal to "Global" (that is, American) audiences and to match a game it predates for decades and that's considered a spinoff in Japan.
- Tear Jerker: In his death throes, despite Ken revealing that he isn't actually Kunio's brother, Ken tells Kunio he's always wanted to call him that at least once.
- Also, Sabu shooting Misako and Kyouko. Kunio and Riki were genuinely horrified at what happened, almost to the point of tears. This showed that they truly cared for one another. One of the rare, but genuine, moments of sadness indeed in the series.
- That One Boss: Misuzu is quite known for this because she strikes the player(s) with fast attacks that cause some big damage and the knockback on her charge is huge.
- Values Dissonance: There's reason why the Tear Jerker above works so well here: Since guns aren't allowed in Japan for civilians, Sabu using a gun symbolizes he's stepping from being an honorable Yakuza to being a deranged, honorless bastard who doesn't care what methods he uses to win as long he can get rid of his enemies, in this case Misako, Kyoko and Ken.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: As the boss fight in Hanazono High rages on, The building starts to collapse down to ground zero. The scrolling in the background and the floors going diagonal drives the point home.
YMMV / Kunio-tachi no Banka