- Covered Up: Three of her biggest hits, "Piece of My Heart" (originally by Erma Franklinnote ), "Cry Baby" (Garnet Mimms), and "Me and Bobby McGee" (Kris Kristofferson, first recorded by Roger Miller), were covers. (As was her more modest hit, "Ball and Chain" [Big Mama Thornton].)
- Face of the Band: There's a reason this page ain't called "Big Brother and the Holding Company".
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Her final recording was "Mercedes Benz" on October 1st, 1970, three days before she died, which means the last words she ever said on record were "That's it!"
- Harsher in Hindsight: When she heard about the death of Jimi Hendrix, Joplin said "He beat me to it." Two weeks later she was dead.
- Signature Song: Piece of My Heart or Me and Bobby McGee
- Tearjerker: Little Girl Blue. Even more so when you know her story. You can really hear the hurt in her voice, especially when she peforms the song as a guest on the Tom Jones' tv show.
- "The drinks are on Pearl."
- The Woobie: Janis had to deal with years of bullying over her looks and a fiance who cheated on her with her friend after their wake, facts that led to her overdosing not once, but several times before it became fatal.
YMMV / Janis Joplin