- Best Known for the Fanservice: Her scandal at the 2004 Super Bowl drew more attention afterwards than the actual game.
- Epic Riff: "Black Cat"
- Growing the Beard: Control, her third album, was where she found her voice.
- Memetic Mutation: "_________ if you're nasty.
- No Such Thing as Bad Publicity: One theory was that the "malfunction" mentioned above was a deliberate attempt on her part to invoke this trope. On one side, she lit up the gossip sites and was the focus of incredible media attention. On the other hand, the media blackout on Janet that followed continued for several years, causing 2006's 20 Y.O. and 2008's Discipline to underperform in sales and on the charts. It didn't help that her next single after the incident, a very sexual song called "All Nite (Don't Stop)", left MTV and other outlets a little gun-shy about promoting her music.
- Retroactive Recognition: One of Janet's friends in the music video for "That's The Way Love Goes" is a then-unknown Jennifer Lopez.
- Values Resonance: "Empty", which dealt with online relationships. The lyrics are just as, if not much more relatable in the age of Facebook and Twitter than when the song was released in 1997.
YMMV / Janet Jackson