- Nightmare Fuel: The original version does a good job of invoking this with the giant ants. The TurboGrafx-16 version utterly fails at doing so, but almost makes up for it with the "rescue" sequences where the victims are slowly eaten alive by ants.
- Padding: In the TurboGrafx-16 version.
- So Bad, It's Good: The TurboGrafx-16 version has awesomely awful full-motion video in a similar fashion to Night Trap and Critical Path.
- Special Effect Failure: All over the place in the TurboGrafx-16 version.
- The (stop-motion) ant at the power plant and the canyon doesn't crawl from the ground insomuch as it just slides up and moves its appendages.
- Whenever a character appears on TV, their heads poke out from the top of the screen.
- The graphical quality of the game itself, which is extremely pixelated and grainy, also counts.
- In cutscenes, whenever someone fires a gun, nothing comes out of them.
YMMV / It Came From The Desert