- Ass Pull: Ginka turning up alive at the end of episode 12 can be considered this, even with the explanation she gives.
- Awesome Music: The anime's opening music.
- Cliché Storm: Oh, lordy! Cute, kind, Plucky Girl? Check. Stoic, weak, and cheerful allies? Check. Secret organization? Check. Superiors who tell them what to do? Check. Monster of the Week who grant wishes and corrupts people? Checkity check check. Evil villain maneuvering everything behind the scenes? CHECK. That said, it's a heck of a lot Darker and Edgier than how the tropes are usually played.
- Draco in Leather Pants: Cerebrum has a small following on Tumblr that thinks he's adorable even when he's being a complete bastard.
- Les Yay: Well, it is a Magical Girl staple. More specifically, Luna quickly becomes very attached to Akari. Blushes when thinking about her, climbs into bed with her... and by episode 7, her jealousy towards Seira is plain for anyone to see! Episode 9 practically makes it canon, with Luna saying she wants to stay with her forever... and then Mood Whiplash hits when the "Akari" she's with turns out to be Cerebrum, who proceeds to break her heart verbally and shove a Daemonia card into her chest.
- So Okay, It's Average: The general consensus. Part of the reason this series isn't as well known as its creator expected.
- Squick: Episode 12 gives us the biggest example yet, courtesy of Cerebrum and his reason for targeting Akari, which is to mate with our twelve year old protagonist in order to produce a child with her.
- Tear Jerker: Quite a bit.
- They Copied It, So It Sucks!: Many viewers accuse this show of riding the coattails of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, mainly because it shares its dark tone and uses similar concepts in its themes and plot, but plays the story straight. Both shows are also licensed by Aniplex, which can give the impression that licensing Illusioni was an attempt to capitalize on the overwhelming success of the then-fledgling Puella Magi franchise.
- The Woobie: Akari, Luna, and Seira are all strong contenders.
YMMV / Il Sole penetra le illusioni