- Harsher in Hindsight: While the vaccine debate had been up and running long before the mangas run (which the author no-doubt took advantage of), the recognition of vaccine skepticism as a global health threat in the late 10s makes the framing of the nanocapsules being administered even harder to watch.
- Moral Event Horizon: While most Chosen end up becoming the Woobie of the Week, a couple just snap and end up doing some pretty horrible, unsympathetic things (one of the early Chosen even attempts to rape a girl as the last thing he's seen doing before he dies.)
- Paranoia Fuel: It doesn't help that the main concept of the series plays into a popular and incredibly dangerous conspiracy theory (see Harsher in Hindsight above).
- Tear Jerker: Hardly surprising, considering the premise.
- The Un-Twist: Really, a government starts a program to systematically kill innocent citizens to make the populace appreciate life, and the reader isn't supposed to immediately assume there's a more sinister motive behind it?
YMMV / Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit