- Difficulty Spike: When you put aside having to get the hang of the stiff jumping mechanics, the first few mountains aren't so bad. However, around mountain 8 or so, they get increasingly puzzle-like with walls blocking off certain areas, and the clouds, conveyor belts and Nitpickers pick up speed.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: The polar bear enemies are the most memorable, thanks to their casual wear (pink shorts and black shades).
- I Am Not Shazam: The game is "Ice Climber", the characters are "The Ice Climbers".
- Iconic Character, Forgotten Title: The Ice Climbers are definitely more famous and notable for their appearances as playable fighters in Super Smash Bros. rather than their own game, to the point that the latter's title is often misremembered as "Ice Climbers".
- Scrappy Mechanic: Many fans feel that the jumping mechanics were the main reason why this game never spun out into a franchise like many of Nintendo's other NES-era titles, and was largely forgotten about until Super Smash Bros. came along.
- So Okay, It's Average: One of the more forgettable NES games, but nowhere near bad.
YMMV / Ice Climber