- Anvilicious: One of the common criticisms of Undyingnephalim's work. During Hyrule Conquest's Hyrule Historia missions, characters rather openly espouse his views of fandoms, the Nintendo corporation, and other issues.
- Awesome Art: Sure, there are plenty of moments of Uncanny Valley, but the game can become gorgeous even if the moments are few and far between.
- Broken Base: Opinions of the mod with Zelda fans range far and wide. Just look at the tropes on this page! Applies within the internal fanbase of the mod as well, with some outright driven away by Undyingnephalim's tendency to criticize and complain about issues in multi-hour rants.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: The mod's Gray and Grey Morality can head into this territory for some fans, with some of the heroes being actually evil or just manipulated by evil forces. This is actually toned down from how dark and depressing the mod was in earlier incarnations. For example, in the earlier builds of Hyrule Total War, Zelda was an outright religious fanatic and Hyrule was a crusader state bent on converting the world to Goddess Worship at sword-point.
- Demonic Spiders: The Kokiri, particularly Saria's unique unit, the Deku Tree. Due to only having Saria as a technology requirement due to a quirk in the 0 A.D. engine, and with the Kokiri's powerful early-game economy, a skilled Kokiri layer can swarm a rival with Deku Trees within the first ten minutes of a match.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Sulkaris has become quite popular among fans of the game, mostly because she is a villain that can smash entire armies all by herself, and manages to accomplish nearly all of her goal without any major setbacks. By the time we get to see her Hidden Depths and Freudian Excuse, many fans came to see her as their favorite Zelda villain despite being fanmade and some even said that Sulkaris has become their favorite Zelda character.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Tetra/Link, Ralis/Saria, and multiple others.
- Game-Breaker: The Kokiri's excellent early game economy and ability to field swarms of cheap units has earned the mod the nickname Kokiri Conquest among more competitive players.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Hyrule: Total War had so many that the creator decided to port the game over to 0 A.D. and rename it Hyrule Conquest.
- Goddamned Bats: The Kokiri's cheap units and excellent early economy have already earned them a reputation as the mod's equivilent of the zerg.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Hyrule Warriors, an official Zelda game by Nintendo and Tecmo Koei, is full of similar large-scale background battles. Numerous design and lore directions in later games such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have led to a recurring joke that Nintendo leaves the mod alone to steal ideas for future Zelda titles.
- "Holy Shit!" Quotient: Majora destroys the Triforce in the final mission of the game.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- Majora from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is considered the most effective villain in the series by the mod's creator, and as such is the main antagonist of the setting. Its demented laugh, supposedly recorded by none other than Andy Serkis has become known and even by those unaware of the mod.
- The Shiekah Cadre and their Yiga cousins field numerous twisted undead abominations and ruthless torturers and assassins as common units. The form of magic they utilize boils an enemy's blood until they explode. Dethl, or Bongo Bongo, their Titan, reproduces by driving victims insane until they cut off their own head, upon which its spawn unfold out of the stump like a flower and mutate the corpse into a Devoured.
- Malice is vastly more hideous than it is in its source, being a mass of screaming faces and body horror strongly inspired by The Thing (1982).
- Agitha's Death, in an homage to the 1985 horror movie Lifeforce, leads to her exploding into a mass of blood as she is torn apart and reassembled by the Forest Medallion into a new body for Sulkaris.Even Mido, who had betrayed the Kokiri, is horrified and disgusted.
- Player Punch: The mod can end up like this, particularly to Zelda fans, due to its Gray and Grey Morality and the mod's critical stance of the direction the Legend of Zelda series has taken.
- Tear Jerker: When Ganon realizes Bongo played him for a fool and lied about the Triforce's location, he is so filled with despair that he collapses and does not resist when Zelda I arrives and cuts him down, followed by the revelation his plan was to bring back all those killed by the war between his people and the Hylians and usher in a golden age of peace.
- Ugly Cute: Kid Ganon.
- Uncanny Valley: A common criticism of the mod's graphics, particularly early on, though over the years Undyingnephalim's skill at modelling and animation have improved to arguably professional levels.
- Unexpected Character: Several of the characters who serve as commanders. Carock, for example, was merely a boss who made no appearances after his defeat, yet here hes a member of the Wizzrobe faction.
YMMV / Hyrule Conquest