- Just Here for Godzilla: When the original film was released, it was paired up with the Roger Rabbit cartoon Tummy Trouble, with some people being more interested in the new Roger Rabbit short than the actual film. Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert actually pointed this out when they reviewed the film on Siskel & Ebert.
- Paranoia Fuel: If you're a breakfast-eater, or simply a cereal-eater, after this movie, you'll never eat either one the same way again.
- Retroactive Recognition:
- Sequelitis: Neither of the two sequels were anywhere near as popular as the first, although some fans consider Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves to be a Surprisingly Improved Sequel compared to Honey, I Blew Up the Kid.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The instrumental theme of the first movie includes an obvious pastiche of Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse B", to the point that Scott's estate sued (and latter settled with Disney) because of the similarity.
- Tear Jerker: Anty's Heroic Sacrifice. Ron's reaction makes it even worse. Then the camera slowly moves away and we can see the other kids are just as devastated.
- Not to mention Amy's near drowning before Russ is able to resuscitate her with CPR. After she wakes up Nick can't hold it in anymore, and he hugs her as tears start pouring from his eyes. Seeing how scared he was at how close his sister was to dying is enough to get anyone misty-eyed.
- Ugly Cute: Anty behaves like a loyal puppy dog (of course) and makes a friendly-sounding trilling noise, but it looks exactly like a proportionately gigantic ant is supposed to.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The forest-like lawn and even Anty still hold up amazingly well years later.
YMMV / Honey, I Shrunk the Kids