- Tip is a big nerd. The whole "teaching Oh jokes" solidifies her as one. She also proudly says more than once to Oh, that she got an A in geometry.
- Oh is goofy, clumsy, and has weird speech patterns.
- Awesome Music: Rihanna's Towards the Sun and Jennifer Lopez's Feel the Light, both songs being very hopeful and heartwarming. There's also Coffee Clarence Jr.'s Run to Me and Dancing In The Dark.
- Critical Dissonance: The film received generally mixed reviews from critics (47% on Rotten Tomatoes, the lowest for a Dreamworks movie since Shrek the Third), but was successful at the box office, with an opening weekend of $52 million (the highest opening weekend for a Dreamworks movie since Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted) and had generally positive audience feedback ("A" from Cinemascore).
- Crossover Ship: People have taken to shipping Tip with Hiro from Big Hero 6.
- Fandom Rivalry: Home fans seem to hold a major grudge against Big Hero 6, claiming that its "overrated", "shouldn't have won the Oscar", and that it has "bad writing".
- Fanfic Fuel: Now Humanity has a fellow population of aliens both on Earth and the Moon who are likely sharing all their advanced technology such as interstellar space capability, what happens to Earth's society now (Especially with all other aliens coming to Earth to party as well)?
- Harsher in Hindsight: The scene where Paris gets destroyed becomes a bit cringeworthy following the 11/13 bombings.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The secondary character of the book is named J-Lo; this film has Tip's mother, Lucy, voiced by another J-Lo.
- This isn't the last time Brian Stepanek would voice the father of an inordinately large amount of children.
- Idiot Plot: The instigating event of the plot is Oh attempting to email a "friend" directions to his apartment, but accidentally sends it to every being in the universe. Said directions, for some reason, direct the reader of how to find Earth down to the exact solar system. Though ultimately, the real instigator of the conflict is Captain Smek, for running away from a peace treaty and stealing the Gorg's "shusher", which turned out to contain the young Gorg children. In a strange twist of fate, Oh's actions end up eventually setting the events that lead to the Idiot Plot being resolved.
- Inferred Holocaust: Just how many planets did the Boov lead the Gorg to that were then destroyed, and how many of them were inhabited?
- Just Here for Godzilla: Some people consider the character of Tip to be the only thing that is executed well in the movie, given that she has a strong, likeable personality and character arc.
- Minority Show Ghetto: Averted. The film stars singer Rihanna as the film's black protagonist and was a surprise hit, opening at 54 million domestically and 99.7 million worldwide. The movie's opening weekend was touted as a much-needed success for Dreamworks after the disappointing openings for Mr. Peabody & Sherman and Penguins of Madagascar.
- Nausea Fuel: There is a scene where Oh consumes an urinal cake and urine from a urinal.
- Squick: Oh eating a urinal cake, then drinking out of an unflushed toilet. The poor alien even reacted as such.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: It's a kid's movie so it's understandable the subject wasn't broached, but how did the leaders of the earth and the members of the militaries take to being shuffled off to the camps? The people were evidently given a lot of freedom to mix and mingle - were they trying to gather together to take the planet back?
- Trailer Joke Decay: "My hands are in the air like I just do not care!"
- What an Idiot!: One that starts the whole movie off. Captain Smek has just run out of an attempted peace meeting with the Gorg. On the way out, he bumps into a pedestal holding up a strange rock.
You'd Expect: Him to leave it where it is. He is most likely not on the Gorg's good side at the moment. Even if the rock didn't have all of his kids inside, most people don't like it when people takes things that belong to them.
Instead: He takes it without so much as a second though.
The Result: The Gorg is violently enraged and starts to chase the Boov down.\\
Instead: Nobody realizes this until Oh (due to having spent time with Tip) realizes what the problem was.
- What The Hell, Casting Agency?: Rihanna's voice REALLY does not fit a character that's intended to be a child.