- Anvilicious: This movie has some extremely in-your-face and anachronistic jabs at Donald Trump.
- Bile Fascination: Quite a few people went to see the movie purely after hearing just how bad it supposedly was. Needless to say, many were not disappointed.
- Designated Hero: Will Ferrell as Holmes is very difficult to take seriously as a hero thanks to his constant demeaning of Watson and his harebrained antics.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "Not even Netflix wanted it!"Explanation
- Due to the film being released near the very end of 2018, many have joked that critics were filled with regret that they already made their worst films of the year lists before seeing this film.
- The film also gained plenty of attention for the numerous reports of people walking out of the movie long before the credits rolled.
- Tainted by the Preview: The trailer for the film wasn't exactly well-received, due to the presence of many unfunny gags.
- WTH, Casting Agency?: Ralph Fiennes as Moriarty is a match made in movie casting heaven. Unfortunately, he was used in a lowbrow parody of Sherlock Holmes as opposed to a more serious adaptation of the works. The fact that he doesn't have much screentime doesn't help.
YMMV / Holmes & Watson