- Hilarious in Hindsight: Benedict Cumberbatch would play another English intellect with the initials S.H.: Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock.
- The girl Stephen flirts with/teaches science to at the pub is played by Alice Eve, who would star alongside Cumberbatch in Star Trek Into Darkness.
- The next Hawking biopic, The Theory of Everything, was made in 2014. But this time, Theory was Dueling Movies alongside The Imitation Game, another biopic about a prominent 20th century English scientist (Alan Turing), starring... Benedict Cumberbatch.
- Just Here for Godzilla: Never mind the physics (though virtually any movie will be improved with limericks about relativity), a fairly high percentage of the audience is watching for Benedict Cumberbatch being heartbreaking and adorable and acting his socks off.
- Moe: Stephen has his moments. He looks very boyish and vulnerable in the hospital scenes, and heart-meltingly cute when he's genuinely happy.
- Stoic Woobie: Stephen's general attitude after he's diagnosed is to carry on as normally as possible and keep his fears to himself. Although there are a few instances where he's clearly upset, and it's heartbreaking.
- When He Smiles: Stephen just glows when he's really happy. Not uncommon for a Benedict Cumberbatch character, but particularly effective in this case because of everything he's had to endure throughout the film.
YMMV / Hawking