- Base-Breaking Character: Ibusuki, after The Reveal showing that she was a girl the whole time. Some fans like her for her friendship with Taro and her getting along with Eve, but other see her as a generic Tsundere and a more cliche love interest compared to Ebino.
- Die for Our Ship: Ebino fans and Ibusuki fans generally don't get along with each other. The Ebino fans hate Ibusuki, finding her to be a generic, uninspired Love Interest and dislike her indecisiveness and backing out of saying how she truly feels. Ibusuki fans fire back by pointing out how overly idealized and cliché Ebino herself is, and that a lot of her appeal also comes from how physically attractive she is. Whatever the case, both fans reluctantly agree that whoever Tarou chooses will probably require Eve to step out of the picture. The problem is arguing over which of the love interests they want to take down along the way.
- Epileptic Trees: Eve's body resembling Ebino's sparked a lot of discussion over whether Ibusuki was Taro's real first love at all. The theory goes that as Taro gets romantically closer to her, Eve will start resembling Ebino more and more until her form looks like her for real after he fully falls in love. Never mind that this hasn't happened with other First Love Zombies.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Taro/Ebino is the most accepted pairing among readers. Their relationship growing over the course of the series, coupled with her more buxom look and desirable feminine traits, give her an edge over Taro's other respective love interests (Eve, who is his ideal woman but could disappear if his first love is realized or go into a comatose state if he falls in love with someone else, and Ibsuki, who doesn't have feminine appeal like Ebino or Eve do).
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: It's more popular in America than it is in its native Japan, where it has mid to low rankings.
- It Was His Sled: Ibusuki's real gender was kept a mystery in the first few chapters, but while it still largely remains a secret in-universe, the story has advanced enough to a point where it's become common knowledge among readers.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: First Love Zombies are only ever seen appearing over boys' heads. Some readers would have liked to see if FLZs also appeared over the heads of girls, and even homosexual characters if there are any. The idea is teased with Koigaura falling in love with (and denying his feelings for) Ibusuki, but the point is moot anyway since the audience knows Ibusuki is a girl, and the subplot is treated as little more than a minor gag after the school election.
YMMV / Hatsukoi Zombie