- Hilarious in Hindsight: Christopher Meloni and Victor Garber later had major heroic supporting roles in Man of Steel and the Arrowverse, respectively.
- Ho Yay: Hal and Sinestro have a lot of tension going on throughout the course of the entire film but it is best summed up with this conversation after the Guardians had just assigned Sinestro as Hal's trainer.Hal: So what now?Sinestro: Now I own your ass.
- It Was His Sled: Anyone remotely familiar with the comic books, can see Sinestro's betrayal coming from a mile away.
- Magnificent Bastard: Thaal Sinestro is introduced as a trusted and celebrated, but harsh and draconian Green Lantern. Having grown embittered with what he sees as the Guardians' weakness and inability to combat chaos and disorder, Sinestro plots to overthrow them, turning fellow Lantern Boodika to his cause. Allying himself with the warlord Kanjar Ro to steal the powerful yellow element, Sinestro hides his involvement by simultaneously running the investigation into the theft. Taking new recruit Hal Jordan under his wing, Sinestro shows a willingness to torture and kill in pursuit of his goals while also having Boodika court Jordan as a possible ally. When Kanjar Ro becomes a liability, Sinestro kills him, frames Jordan, and successfully claims the weapon built from the yellow element. Laying siege to Oa, Sinestro overwhelms all resistance before forcing the Guardians to surrender, and even when his plans are thwarted by Jordan, he refuses to give up without a fight. A cold and brutal man who is nevertheless devoted to his cause, Sinestro proves himself as both the Corps' greatest paragon and its greatest threat.
- Memetic Mutation: Sinestro's "Shut your mouth, you stupid little troll!" line has become quite popular in comicbook-related forums.
- Moral Event Horizon: "Frankly, Kilowog... you weren't going to survive this anyway."
- Destroying the battery, thus, causing the death of thousands that lost their powers and even air protection in space crosses the line for someone who wants to protect the universe.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: There are several brutal death scenes in the film, and Sinestro leaves quite a body count behind him.
YMMV / Green Lantern: First Flight