- Ass Pull: Early in the film, Alex and his crew manage to escape the hospital, get to their hotel, and pack up their things to get the fuck out of dodge. Oh, except the moment they get in the elevator, it takes them right back to the hospital. It's either a whole new level of Nightmare Fuel, or pure Narm.
- Contested Sequel: Fan reaction was a lot more sharply divided than the first Grave Encounters.
- Funny Moment: The Vicious Brothers? It turns out they're just Jerry's interns.
- Idiot Plot: Essentially the entire movie. The students go to the hospital specifically to prove that it is an Eldritch Location that traps people inside, drives them insane and kills them. The only way to do that is to... get trapped inside, be driven insane and then die. At no point do any of the five of them bring up this massive error in their judgement.
- The ending arguably has a touch of this as well. Alex agrees to lure more people to the hospital but he does this by making a movie about it, which once created will continue to exist and lure people without any additional input from Alex. There's absolutely no reason the hospital can't just bring him back now that his work is done. One could argue that he didn't have much choice in the matter but he could have tried to "barter" with the hospital, maybe offer to personally lead new victims to the location instead of just advertising it.
- Jerkass Woobie: Poor Lance/Sean. While he did go crazy, killed Trevor and tried to kill the others it's hard not to feel sorry for the guy considering he lost his entire crew and was lobotomized in the first film and then trapped in the hospital for nine years. He just wants to escape the hospital like everyone else so it's hard not to see why he went crazy. Even worse was that he was told by the spirits of the hospital themselves that he could escape by opening the red door after he killed everyone else only for nothing to happen when he finally got the door open leaving him to scream at the hospital in anger before dying. And considering that Alex managed to leave through the same door, it's implied that the hospital wouldn't have let Lance/Sean leave anyway.
- Nausea Fuel: Two words: infant sacrifice.
- Sequelitis: The first movie? 58% on Rotten Tomatoes. This one? 14%. Many people complained about the Recursive Canon aspects, the similarities to the first movie and other movies, and a rather silly third act.
- Signature Scene: The elevator scene.
- Special Effect Failure: The CGI in the climax looks downright awful. Especially when Lance/Sean is sucked into the vortex.
- Tear Jerker: Trevor recording his will in the bathroom and breaking down while realizing that he won't be able to go home. Even sadder is that Lance/Sean kills him later meaning that he'll never go home.
- This quote from Lance/Sean: "Do you realize what nine years in here can do to a person?! I just want to go home."
- Hell, it's hard not to feel bad for Lance/Sean in general despite the actions he does. See Jerkass Woobie above.
YMMV / Grave Encounters 2