- Anvilicious: American culture being especially decadent is beaten many times into the reader's skull.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: "Kingdom Of Monsters" is almost nothing but such moments, at least until the last few issues where it suddenly realizes there's an actual plot to deal with. For example the weird Lady Gaga Expy who appears in one issue, rants about how Godzilla is divine retribution, than dies off-panel in the next issue and is never mentioned again.
- Crazy Awesome: Pretty much every scene involving Jet Jaguar.
- Critical Research Failure: When the Japanese first encounter Godzilla, their first reaction is to nuke him. In reality, while they do have the capability, Japan is not part of the nuclear club and have made it clear that they'd rather not have anything to do with nuclear weapons.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: To some, the efforts to be Darker and Edgier just make the comic too depressing to read, notably the constant Death of a Child. Even bearing in mind the comic's effort to be closer to the original film and Heisei era, it is seen by some as too shocking a move.
- Fanon Discontinuity: Kingdom Of Monsters tends to be ignored, simply because it's not nearly as good as what came after it.
- Memetic Mutation: "I bet that in the next issue, Obama becomes Ultraman." note
- Padding: Much of the story feels more like poor satire and what little story there is, Woods protecting Allie, just keeps repeating itself until the last few issues.
- Surprisingly Improved Sequel: Kingdom of Monsters is not looked back on too fondly with being a little too dark too quickly and writing that went no where with a few good ideas. Godzilla Ongoing was an improvement with being not quite so dreary and having an actual direction. Rulers of the Earth seems to have the best reception of the main series for being just plain monster fun.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Girly Yaya, the Lady Gaga Expy who wanted to protect the monsters while showing complete disregard for all the people they killed, is found dead in the ruins of Los Angeles following Godzilla's fight with Angirus.
- Unintentionally Sympathetic: The cast of Jerseyfied. They may have been a bunch of shallow reality stars but that does not mean they deserved to be incinerated by Godzilla's atomic breath nor justify Sgt. Woods leaving them to die.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Many readers (including Linkara) feel this way about Sgt. Woods in his first appearance. With his narration coming across as Wangsting and his refusal to rescue the cast of Jerseyfied for the crime of being on a crappy reality show making him come across as unlikable.
- What an Idiot!: Dr. Pohl's plan was to control the monsters, including Godzilla, and weaponize them. Too bad he didn't count on Godzilla breaking out of his cage or the space monsters.
YMMV / Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters