- Adaptation Displacement: Silent Garfield - Garfield doesn't have his thought bubbles. Realfield - Garfield is realistically drawn and doesn't have the thought bubbles. Both of these predate Garfield Minus Garfield but the latter is now much more well known.
- Bizarro Episode: This strip featuring Jon dressed as a cowboy offering inanimate objects for breakfast, then walks away from an upside down room with a beak, tail feathers, and bird legs.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Garfield asking when did Jon start talking to himself in 1995 would lead to Garfield Minus Garfield being created in 2008. In Garfield Minus Garfield, Jon would talk to himself to try coping with his loneliness and depression.
- Turns out Jon had asked himself if he'd be happier without Garfield around... I daresay we all know the answer to that one.
- Tear Jerker: Some examples:
Jon: Nobody tells me what to do! (Beat) And I wish they would! I have no idea what I am doing!Jon: The day is gone. We can't relive it. It's gone forever.
- This makes it quite clear that Jon isn't right in the head.
- "Sometimes I feel like everybody hates me"
- In this one, Jon realizes that no-one will mourn his death.
- Elderly Jon shedding a tear at Garfield's empty bed.
- No words, just sadness.
- The Woobie: Jon was already this trope in the original comics but Garfield Minus Garfield turns it Up to Eleven by portraying him as aimless and desperate for companionship.
YMMV / Garfield Minus Garfield