- Awesome Music: The first two albums.
- There's an absolute genius somewhere that realized "Not Your Kind of People" hit all the same underlying themes as Metal Gear, and used it in the trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. One particular lyric about speaking a different language unintentionally foreshadows a major story element in the game.
- Alternatively, some fans consider all their albums as this.
- Ear Worm: Let's see... from the singles alone we have: "Queer", "Vow", "Stupid Girl", "Milk", "Only Happy When It Rains", "#1 Crush", "Subhuman", "I Think I'm Paranoid", "Push It", "Dumb", "When I Grow Up", "You Look So Fine", the theme for The World Is Not Enough, "Androgyny", "Cherry Lips", "Why Do You Love Me", "Bleed Like Me", "Sex Is Not The Enemy", "Automatic Systematic Habit", "Blood For Poppies," "Battle in Me", "Big Bright World", "I Hate Love", etc.
- Appropriately, Absolute Garbage is 100% Ear Worm.
- Epic Riff: The My Bloody Valentine-sounding "Supervixen" and the singles, for starters.
- Face of the Band: Shirley Manson. And Butch Vig is well-known as a producer.
- Fair for Its Day: The lyrics of "Cherry Lips" describe a either a trans woman or a cross dresser. If it's the former it might be considered to use some language not considered OK by today's standards, but at the time it was pretty progressive.
- Fan Community Nickname: Shirley refers to her fans as "darklings" on her Facebook page.
- Fanon Discontinuity: A handful of fans will vow that the band's catalogue consists only of Garbage, Version 2.0, Not Your Kind of People and Strange Little Birds.
- Fandom Rivalry: With Curve. Mostly one-sided, with a lot of Garbage hate coming from the Curve camp, but not the other way around. Garbage themselves are actually Curve fans, and Toni Halliday admitted she liked Garbage but felt they were more "poppier" than Curve. (Dean Garcia hasn't said anything.)
- Heartwarming Moment: The band halts their concert for a wedding proposal to take place.
- Flip-Flop of God: The meaning behind "Queer"
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- The video for "The World Is Not Enough" features an android that looks exactly like Shirley Manson killing the real Shirley before taking her place and blowing up a concert hall. Then Shirley started playing a Terminator who is strongly implied to have murdered and replaced a human woman (briefly played in a flashback by Shirley as well).
- During a performance at the 1996 VH1 Fashion Awards, Shirley had a Wardrobe Malfunction, and commented on the occasion with "When did a nipple do any harm?" 8 years later Janet Jackson suffers a malfunction, and Shirley gets so mad at seeing it three days in a row on the cover of USA Today she writes a song complaining, "Sex Is Not The Enemy".
- Similarly, the title track from "Not Your Kind of People" foreshadows the entire plot of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
- Shirley's blonde pixie look in the beautifulgarbage era didn't really last long or gain any popularity with fans, but a few years later it basically became P!nk's iconic look.
- Les Yay:
- Early into their 2013 tour, Shirley tweeted "I have a heavy girl crush on Ioanna from [opening act] IO Echo."
- Then there was this cuddle moment◊ with Amanda Palmer and Marissa from Screaming Females...
- And there's the joint cover of "Because the Night" with Screaming Females. Having two female vocalists share the lyrics of that song is automatic Les Yay. (Also, Marissa actually is lesbian.)
- Shirley randomly kisses Brody Dalle in the video for Girls Talk.
- Moment of Awesome: Shirley Manson's scolding message for Kanye West after he tried his infamous stunt a second time.
- Pandering to the Base: More critical reviews of NYKOP suggesed that the album was aimed entirely at long time fans of the band.
- Signature Song: Hard to pick just one, though "Only Happy When It Rains" and "Stupid Girl" are both strong candidates.
YMMV / Garbage