- Ear Worm:
- Game-Breaker: Restore Points in the 3DS Virtual Console releases of the first three games make getting five stars almost a non-issue. Almost.
- Most Annoying Sound: The overly happy Mario's Cement Factory BGM from 4 can drive one crazy, especially since it takes much longer get 5 stars than in other games.
- Most Wonderful Sound:
- The fanfare that plays at every 100 points.
- The quick tune that plays if you collect a heart, clearing one miss. In Fire, a different tune plays when Princess Peach gives you a heart.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- Getting a miss in most of the modern games results in a picture of a character's angry/sad face staring at you. While averted in 4, the limited palette of the first three games, especially 2 and 3, makes it even more off-setting.
- The modern versions of Octopus play a chilling tune while Mario is being squeezed.
- The song that plays when you miss in the Gallery 4 version of Fire.
- Scrappy Mechanic:
- The modern versions of Chef have two delays for Yoshi: one when he grows into an adult and another when he lays an egg. Unless he's directly underneath food, he won't rush out to eat it. It's all the difference between him catching the food in time and a miss.
- To clear a miss in Fire Attack, Wario must collect the heart without hitting it.
- Replacement Scrappy: Peach replacing Pauline in the modern version of Donkey Kong from 2.
- That One Achievement:
- Getting five stars on one game is hard enough, but unlocking a playable Zelda in the Gallery in 4 requires 100% Completion. That's 160 stars.
- Judge's Second Playmode (Classic Only) in 3 requires you to play with another person. Guess what you can't do in the Virtual Console re-release? They even dummied out the option with no way to get those stars.
- The twenty stars in Game B of both versions of Boxing and Donkey Kong 3 in 4 were multiplayer-only and required a second Game Boy Advance.
- Thankfully on that one you only have to load the game 5 times each in the 2P mode to get the 5 stars, and the second GBA did not require a cartridge.
YMMV / Game & Watch Gallery