- Complete Monster: See here.
- Dueling Works: With Buck Rogers, the other definitive science fiction comic of the Thirties.
- Mainstream Obscurity: While popular and influential in its heyday, the original comics today are best known through Pop-Cultural Osmosis, most prominently through the 1980 film.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: Flash Gordon is one of the most influential works on the genre of science fiction, helping to invent many of its most enduring tropes. Nearly a century later, and many stories have taken those tropes and run wild, leaving Flash looking quaint.
- Reality Subtext: As World War II loomed on the horizon, strips featuring Ming's concentration camps appeared. Eventually, they dropped the subtext altogether and just had the heroes come home to fight Hitler.
YMMV / Flash Gordon