- Crazy Awesome: a lot, biggest examples being:
- Cry for the Devil: Caster Sasuke Uchiha, who was summoned from an Alternate Universe where he did kill Naruto, as well as many other Leaf Ninja, before Hinata killed him to avenge Naruto. In his last moments, he laments to Archer how he never got to kill Itachi, making his whole vengeance in vain, and how in the end he was no better than his brother.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Kirei and Assassin, to the point they ended up being Breakout Characters.
- Fridge Brilliance: So why is Kamina replacing Iskander as Rider? Both are Epic Large Ham playing a certain mentor/big brother to someone who just doesn't see his own potential. Both led an army solely on their charisma. Both kept chasing after the dream of something no one was sure existed and ultimately both died while chasing that dream without feeling any regrets.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Something that doesn't go well with Sakura's current condition is that she is more than willing to lash out to her birth families.
- Moral Event Horizon: Kirei crosses it either by killing his father For the Evulz or by ordering Archer to kill Saber.
- Sola killing Kayneth. While he was a Jerkass, the fact that Sola murders him after he gave her his Command Seals and that she murders him willingly (no curse that excuses her craziness) without any remorse whatsoever removes any sympathy one might have for her.
- Kirei and Wade stopped being funny when they killed Illya.
- Never Live It Down: The Infamous Man has greatly improved as a writer since this story and sees it as an Old Shame, but since it spawned legions of even worse fics, he's been stuck with this as his main legacy.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Despite personally disliking Sasuke's character, the Infamous Man did his best to make this fic's version of the character a bit more sympathetic by portraying him as disgusted by Uryuu's killing spree, and giving him a Cry for the Devil moment at the end where he admits that his whole quest for revenge was pointless.
- Tear Jerker: Rider's death and last moment with Waver.
- Caster's death in the sequel. A Call-Back to Zero Lancer's Dying Curse.
- Illya's final thoughts are absolutely heartbreaking: "Was I really like a flame Berserker? Was I really beautiful before I burned out?" then TIM drives the knife in even deeper with her internally begging her dead mother and father to show up and save her as she dies.
- Wangst: Caster's death. She died a complete Hypocrite blaming people for things that they had nothing to do with and calling them selfish for wanting the Holy Grail while being completely selfish herself because she also wanted the Holy Grail.
- The Woobie: Archer; poor guy wants nothing but to solve the Holy Grail War without anybody getting killed. Which is pretty much impossible when you consider you are in the Nasuverse, in a conflict where it's required to kill other Servants for it to be completed. He fails miserably to save Caster and sees him die in front of him, before having his Master betrayed and killed while he is taken over by the Big Bad and sent with the order to kill Saber. In the end, he has to sacrifice himself to not kill anybody.
- Avenger, in the sequel, is just as bad as Archer was, if not worse. It's worse because you eventually realize that this EMIYA is not the EMIYA we've known from canon. This is Shirou from Heaven's Feel where he killed Sakura and walked the path of a Hero instead of saving her and giving up that path. As his backstory is slowly revealed, you can't help but feel sorry for him for putting up with all that he did. To be a Hero, he became the Villain of the World so that people focused their problems onto him, similar to what happened to Medea in canon. In the end, he felt it was worth it, so long as it brought the world peace.
- Poor, poor Aoi.
- Illya trumps them ALL by a long shot, made especially poignant as she dies.
YMMV / Fate:Zero Sense