- Alternate Character Interpretation: For better or worse, this series tends to mix certain Fanon elements with canon ones when depicting the characters. Examples include Meiling being shown sleeping on the job but being competent enough to wake up the moment an intruder comes close, Yuuka's fanon status as The Dreaded being merely part of a Bait-and-Switch, and Eiki being much more stern than her canon self with an Imagine Spot referencing some of her more Ax-Crazy fanon depictions.
- Awesome Animation: Despite not having a high budget like mainstream anime series, this series of OVAs have very consistent animation, with no room for Off Models.
- Awesome Music: The fanime is full of beautifully remixed classics from the Touhou series. Most of the vocals are sung by senya of Yuuhei Satellite.
- Episode 1 has "Though the Scent Lingers, the Flower Scattered" as its opening theme, and "Opposite World" as its ending theme. The episode's actual soundtrack is also chock-full of remixes for Perfect Cherry Blossom's themes.
- Episodes 2-4 have "Clouds Over the Moon, Flowers in the Wind" as their opening, while Episode 2 has "Hitori Shizuka" as its ending; Episode 3 instead has "Hiding You in the Cherry Trees at Night".
- Episode 5's opening is "Beauties of Nature", while the remaining unused trailer features "Utakata, Ai no Mahoroba".
- The Manpuku Jinja teasers also include a few other songs, namely "Glass Basis Psychology" (Episode 2) and "The Flower Sakuya" (Episode 3).
- Episode 6 has an excellent rendition of "The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Watched".
- Broken Base: Episode 5. Some liked it for it being more Slice of Life and being a break from the intense Red Mist Incident three-parter, while others felt it was a waste of time that could have been spent on the story.
- Continuity Lockout: This fanime requires viewers to already be familiar with the storylines of the Touhou Project games, otherwise they wouldn't be able to understand much of it.
- Creator's Pet: Sanae has appeared in all but four episodes, despite only one of them covering events that take place after her arrival in Gensokyo. Said appearances will often use up significant chunks of time that could've been spent fleshing out the details of the game it's retelling.
- Fandom-Enraging Misconception: This series is not official. Do not say that it is!
- Fandom Rivalry: With Musou Kakyou: A Summer Day's Dream, as there are debates about which is a better Touhou Project fanime. Much of it comes down to if one prefers original stories or adaptations of the games.
- Funny Moments:
- The second opening features a few shots a majority of Gensokyo soaking in a hot spring. Then Cirno dives in, and evaporates the moment she touches the water.
- The end of episode 4 in which Flandre, being angry over Remilia eating the last of her pudding, has a duel with her, causing them to create a massive hole in the ceiling of the Moriya Shrine.
- A few scenes from episode 5 but especially during the scene where Tewi poisons Reisen. The poison seemed to be stronger than Tewi anticipated causing Reisen to seemingly die but when Tewi checks up on her, Reisen grabs Tewi and forces her to chug the bottle of poison. The facial reactions in the scene make it.
- Episode 6 ends with Marisa accidentally punching Eiki in the face due to being surprised by Aya's camera flash.
- Heartwarming Moments: Most of the later half of episode 4 is one for the Scarlet sisters, where Remilia, rather than going in for the kill, grabs Flandre in a Cool Down Hug and apologizes for how she's treated her, followed by the two making up then teaming up against Reimu and Marisa. After being defeated they're shown happily holding hands while resting against one another, and in the present have a healthy sisterly relationship, complete with bickering.
- Just Here for Godzilla: There are some viewers who admit that they don't like the writing or characterizations, yet watch anyway for the gorgeous art and to see their favorite characters get animated.
- Shocking Moments: The animation and art in general, which can rival professionally made anime. But especially episode 4 which not only features a duel between the Scarlet sisters but also a 2v2 battle with Reimu and Marisa facing off against them, ending with Reimu creating a massive Yin-Yang Orb that dwarfs the mansion and easily defeating them both.
YMMV / Fantasy Kaleidoscope