- Alternative Character Interpretation: Spencer shames Darius for being so promiscuous is that him being a hypocrite, is he in denial, is he ashamed or does he just expect better from Darius?
- Base-Breaking Character:
- Darius. At first when he was announced and his route started, the reception was mixed due to his perverted nature and nonchalant treatment of Eric wanting a serious relationship. He became The Scrappy after a short while, but afterwards when his story unfolded and more was discovered about him, he was Rescued from the Scrappy Heap by turning him into a more complex and likable character. That said, some still haven't completely forgiven Darius over his first impressions.
- For Spencer, it was the opposite case. Some felt that he was too "perfect" and he was far too ideal compared to the other romantic leads. Combining the fact that he is the Childhood Friend of the protagonist, the closest person in his life, his popularity with the ladies, he seemed like a shoo-in for new players so that everyone would pick him and seem like the Creator's Pet. This has since died down after his Fatal Flaw was revealed and the other leads have been more fleshed out.
- Broken Base: Due to personal issues outside of the novel itself, CursedMarked left the team during its production. In his place, artist CaptainGerBear has taken the wrings to update all character art into a consistent and congruent style. The problem is that CM's and CGB's art styles are vastly different, with CGB having a less Animesque feel to his style and more of a westernized flair to it. Naturally, this has split fans of the project into one that enjoys the new style and one that doesn't. Compare and contrast CM's art◊ to CGB's art.◊
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Maria is loved by fans for being a kind, supportive, and motherly person to Eric.
- Fridge Brilliance: Spencer and Darius' rivalry comes across as silly and petty, at least until you find out why they're rivals. But what better animals could be butting heads than a dog and a cat? (A husky and a lion respectively.)
- Heartwarming Moments: It's meta, but the pink wristband Spencer wears is based on the wristband the creator Dyne wears for breast cancer awareness.
- Iron Woobie: Eric who despite losing his job, home, and most of his money in rapid succession nevertheless keeps up with school and tennis with most people he knows not even realizing anything was wrong.
- Jerkass Woobie: Darius. He's cocky, arrogant, and frequently crosses personal boundaries in his flirting. That being said, he hides a lot of problems in his life which makes him at least somewhat sympathetic.
- Most Wonderful Sound: The sound of Eric receiving a text or call on his phone is pleasant to hear.
- Stoic Woobie: Dozer. He doesn't show much emotion in general so most people don't guess the troubles he has experienced growing up.
- When Eric suggests Chester to cook steak, he gets mortified while Chester explains that he knows how his kind is eaten, even going as far as cooking and eating steak himself.
- Dozer when he's mad can be outright terrifying sometimes, having an extreme Beware the Nice Ones effect. Gets crazier when he starts telling you some of the things that happened in his past, he's actually was a lot worse.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: Some fans dislike the change in artist and the new art style. Making matters worse is that there was no heads-up for fans that CM might leave the project as well as being told that he will never return, which left a sour taste in their mouths.
- The Woobie: Virtually all the main cast at some point, standouts include:
- Eric due to his living situation and the series of events that led up to it.
- Coach Grifter because of his empathetic situation and tragic loss.
- Chester when he states how aware he is that non-anthropomorphic cattle are cooked and eaten up, while he is an anthropomorphic bull. (He is even fine with eating steak himself!!)
- It gets worse when you hear about the story of Chester's fallout with his old football team, which include but not limited to his old teammates getting him blackout drunk, tying him to a bed, calling a hooker and making her suck his cock in his sleep and from then on being known as a 'fag' by the entire team which caused him to go into a massive depression episode that lasted roughly until the events of the plot. It's as if the world has something against the poor bull.
- Spencer, especially in Darius's route. His close childhood friend ends up dating the same guy who just dated and dumped him not too long ago.
- Dozer when it's revealed that he had a close friend in high school who would help him with math like how Eric does now. Not to mention, his father abandoned him and his mom when he was at a young age.
- Darius doesn't seem like it at first but during his route a motorcycle accident sends him to the hospital. Bad enough already but it's quickly shown that neither his family nor any of his other friends are concerned about his condition or in visiting him while he's there. It seems likely that Eric is one of the few real friends he actually has.
- Maria when she reveals she had a huge crush on a high school friend and still regrets never confessing her feelings despite being happy where she is now.
YMMV / Extracurricular Activities