- Audience-Alienating Premise: A romantic comedy/buddy cop film set at a BDSM resort...with Dan Aykroyd and Rosie O'Donnell as comic relief. General audiences were largely scared away by the film's frank portrayal of sadomasochistic relationships, while kinksters generally found it too silly to be erotic.
- Fetish Retardant:
- Dominatrix!Rosie O'Donnell.
- The spanking scene. It starts pretty erotic, with Lisa chaining up a naked Elliot and sensually fondling him from behind while wearing a slinky red evening gown. Then she ruins it by putting an absurdly huge blindfold on him, which looks a bit like a scuba mask spray-painted white. It's just as ridiculous as it sounds.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Rosie O'Donnell not wanting to have sex with any men on the island, and her Mistaken for Gay scene.
- Rosie saying "think of me as Oprah". Two years later, she gets her own talk show.
- Misaimed Marketing: An infamous example. The trailers and advertisements for the film focused almost exclusively on the undercover cops played by Dan Aykroyd and Rosie O'Donnell, while downplaying the kinky romance between Dana Delany and Paul Mercutio (who played the actual main characters). By trying to play the film off as a wacky sex comedy, the marketing turned away nearly everyone who might have actually liked to see a steamy BDSM love story.
YMMV / Exit to Eden