- Hilarious in Hindsight: Greece won in 2004. Their manager... Otto Rehhagel. Yeah, a German coach led Greece to a surprise victory.
- Memetic Mutation: Mario Balotelli's "revealing" goal celebration after his goal against Germany, in the semi-final of the Euro 2012.
- Tough Act to Follow: In terms of defending champions:
- France failed to qualify for the next edition after winning in 1984.
- Denmark (1996), Germany (2000) and Greece (2008) failed to go through to the next round, Greece even finishing their group stage with zero points. Denmark and Greece were considered Dark Horse Victories at the time, but Germany went into Heroic BSoD and massively overhauled the youth system, which started to bear fruits some ten years later and is arguably what's responsible for the current "dynasty" and the Curb-Stomp Battle that was the 2014 World Cup.
YMMV / European Championship