- Angst? What Angst?: Though Sam wants to go home in the first series, he changes his mind at the end and it is never mentioned again. Whether he has family or friends who would miss him doesn't seem to concern him all that much.
- Awesome Music: The theme music is suitably epic, as befits a grand fantasy adventure.
- Flanderization - Dean goes from having subtle hints that he may be gay in the first series, before openly becoming a walking Transparent Closet in later series.
- High Fantasy: an Affectionate Parody. The show doesn't ridicule the genre; it uses it to make a genre sitcom.
- Idiot Plot: Darkness persuades Sam to betray the Questers by directing them into an ambush, on the promise that they won't be harmed and Sam will be given a portal to go home, which he otherwise wouldn't be able to do without the Sword. After Sam gives them the bad intel, Darkness Moves the Goalposts and demands that Sam hand him the Sword before he'll fulfil his part of the bargain. Sam complies with this, even though it was already established that once he has the sword, he'll be able to go home anyway, and it's still not too late to warn the team about the ambush...
- Shout-Out: Sam, an author, has called his dog 'Amis'; possibly in reference to authors Kingsley and Martin Amis. Although it's also an anagram of "I, Sam..."
- The Other Darrin: In Series Four Ingrid Oliver takes over from Sophie Winkleman as Penthisalea.
YMMV / ElvenQuest