- Friendly Fandoms: With the various incarnations of Star Trek, of course, as Majel Roddenberry was the de facto show-runner, but also with The X-Files and V1983, due to the alien conspiracy arcs and gray morality of the show.
- Magnificent Bastard - Sandoval has his ways with charm and redeeming qualities and in the end might be the Tragic Hero.
- Paranoia Fuel - the whole freakin' show.
- Tear Jerker -
- Boone's death at the end of the first season
- Todd's death in the next to last ep.
- Special Effects Failure / Visual Effects of Awesome: Some of the effects have aged very well, others not so much. Amusingly, the mothership in Season 1 was awful even for the time, while it's updated look from Season 2 onwards is probably the show's best effect and holds up well today.
- Strawman Has a Point: Renee becomes extremely distrustful of alien life as a concept. Ra'jel calls her out on this and Renee answers, correctly, that every alien government or force yet encountered by humans has had malevolent intent, barring a few dissenting individuals. Ra'jel still convinces her that she shouldn't shy away from further first contact with other life.
YMMV / Earth: Final Conflict