- Accidental Innuendo: The name "Bolshack Dragon" can be this.
- Anti-Climax Boss: Arguably Subverted with Ballom, Master of Death, during Shobu and Kokujo's first Kaijudo duel. Ballom gets taken out on the same turn it's summoned, by a shield trigger that had been specifically placed to defeat it, but its summoning still left Shobu absolutely defenseless and forced him and Kokujo into a tense session of top-decking until the real climax of the duel.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: A Gag Dub about people taking a children's card game too seriously. Pretty eerie.
- Magnificent Bastard: Kokujo, he uses his mastery of psychological warfare to absolutely destroy Shobu 'in his first appearance. His main strategy involves letting the opponent have the upper hand for 80% of the duel in order to lure them into a false sense of security before moping the floor with them. The Gag Dub naturally lampshades this by having him constantly refer to himself as an "evil genius". He follows this up by almost successfully acting as a Spanner in the Works during the Temple run, coming within inches of defeating Shobu and moving on to take on Hakuoh.
- Seasonal Rot: The first season of the Gag Dub had more effort put into its voice acting and editing, making the later seasons seem inferior. (Each season was produced by a different company, so they put their own spin on the dub.)
- Woolseyism: The chapter books provided a unique spin by gradually introducing Shobu's Kaijudo abilities and not emphasizing the creatures being visualized with the exception of certain moments; for example, the duel against Jamira has Shobu briefly see Bolshack Dragon attack Jamira, explaining why he was actually knocked to the ground.
YMMV / Duel Masters