- Crack Ship: As a result of the butterfly effect, the story showcases more than one relationship that would have been this in canon. There are two main examples: Tenten and Shikamaru, and Zabuza and Mei, but also background and platonic cases like Genma's implied unrequited crush on Anko, Ino's friendship with Tenten, and Yukumo's hero worship of Lee.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: As of the Kusa Chunin Exams Arc, Shikako/Gaara has been gaining traction amongst the fanbase. Shikako/Sasuke is its rival.
- Harsher in Hindsight:
- A lot of Kakashi's actions become this during Hospital Arc."Staring at rocks. My favourite past-time".
- In-universe, Shikako mentions that a lot of the in-jokes with her friends about her love of explosions (many of which date back to their time together at the academy) have become much less funny.
- Chapter 95 opens with Kakashi telling Shikako "Do you have enough explosive notes? You might only be able to level a very small country." Guess what happens when Shikako and Aoba run into some Jashin cultists.
- A lot of Kakashi's actions become this during Hospital Arc.
- It's the Same, Now It Sucks!: About the only major criticism this story gets is that the plot hasn't changed much. Even though Shikako has good reasons for not wanting to try and change certain things, The Stations of the Canon have thus far been followed to a large degree. Variations of each story arc basically pertain to "things are a little better for the heroes", such that people are almost hoping for the Butterfly of Doom to kick in (despite Shikako's attempts to avert it), there isn't much original material (yet), and In Spite of a Nail (though lampshaded) is in full effect. This may finally get a subversion with the story's version of the Sasuke Retrieval Arc.
- When Chapter 62 was posted, the author revealed that the story's main goal was originally to explain many aspects of the plot and analyse the Shinobi World through an outsider's more developed insight (the changes came about more as the plot progressed). This might be why the protagonist is a Nara rather than from another Clan.
- Has been very well subverted with all the new content created to fill in the Time Skip of the original series as well as dealing with Sasuke remaining in Konoha during the Time Skip.
- Launcher of a Thousand Ships : While the fic itself is mostly gen, fans have shipped Shikako with a lot of people. Gaara and Sasuke are the most common, but there's also Shino, Kiba, Hinata, and Haku.
- Nightmare Fuel: Chapter 130. Just Chapter 130. There's a good reasons fans are comparing it to rise of Cthulhu.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: A few years after its debut, newcomers to this story have come to criticise it for certain story elements of the Naruto Self-Insert: reincarnation-into-twin-of-canon-character, replacing Sakura on Team 7, not acting to more drastically change the timeline, first-person POV, etc... Fact is, Dreaming Of Sunshine itself was the pioneer for these story elements, most other stories playing Follow the Leader; while not the first story to use at least some of the elements, it was the first story to actually put them all together, and other stories with greater differences from canon are simply further evolution of the formula (leaving DOS newcomers to be spoiled for more original plotlines in the genre).
YMMV / Dreaming of Sunshine